Monday, June 2, 2008

The Book of Cacti & Other Succulents

I bought this book at a little used book shop in southern California in June of 2003. I was on a road trip and having just moved to Oregon had no plans or thought of ever living in California. I did have thoughts about cultivating a wonderful succulent garden.

I finally read this book for the first time, now living in California in June of 2008. I rent a house a mile from the ocean and have gathered a few succulents to begin what will most likely be a humble gathering of tiny succulents. Most likely adding only what I pilfer from beaches and neighbors’ yards.

I thought I would learn about how to propagate these little plants; I didn’t expect lessons on life and people.

(echeveria or Panamint Dudleya, or some sort of Hen & Chickens, growing in
my yard when we moved here. I have been watering so they have been flourishing.)

Quote 1

But perhaps the thing that really seals the attraction between succulents and those who love them is the quiet lessons they teach of endurance and faith in life. How well they exemplify the virtues of patience and economy, the wisdom of lying low and rolling with the punches, of storing within ourselves those vital resources we will need in times of adversity. Succulents are strong plants, and they make those who grow them strong.

Chapter Two: Understanding Succulents, Page 18, Claude Chidamian

(fl: These aeoniums are from my garden and weren't doing too well in their old spot,
br: a succulent also from my garden which I thought needed some tlc too.)

Quote 2

Understanding succulents is like understanding people. They seem odd and different until we learn something about them- where they came from, how they developed, how they were meant to live and grow. Then we begin to see beauty where there was only strangeness; we begin to feel a strong attraction where there was only fear and indifference before.

Chapter Two: Understanding Succulents, Page 17, Claude Chidamian


I have more pictures of succulents from my garden on my flickr page at: www.flickr.com/photos/hoffrooe.

2 comments:

Tine said...

That would be unexpected to me too! LOL! But I suppose plants have personality too, and the virtues mentioned sounds like great things to learn...nomatter where you or from who (what) you learn :-)

Hoffrooe said...

Thanks Tine, I totally agree. When reading something like that you could take inspiration to be the kind of person who grows succulents (according to the author). It could be symbolic even of turning over a new leaf. :)