Monday, June 30, 2008

The View of Linda Mar


I want to talk about the view from our dining room window. I spend a lot of time looking out that window. I am also sure that the kitties spend most of their awake time at this window watching the world pass by. I keep my bird book and binoculars by the window and the girls have any number of small rugs and baskets to sit in while looking outside.

Here they are obviously napping, but just before this, they were looking outside.

Whenever I post pictures of our backyard I want to start talking about the garden and how much work we have done and how much more we need to do but what I am really thinking about is how much pleasure I get from seeing the changes in the plants that are out there as they are, watching out for "Bruce the angry humming bird" and his little flock, checking on the progress of the pear tree in the neighbor's yard, or how my little succulents are fairing. I watch out for the neighbor cat who I always shoo away from bird hunting with a high and extremely non-threatening "shoo kitty" which he does obey but only because he pities me and my poor attempt to being stern with a cat.

Today I saw this robin chasing a grass hopper, which was pretty entertaining. Cornel, Ralph and I sat shoulder to shoulder on the floor watching the race.

I just love sitting next to the window and watching the happenings in my yard. Sort of like a nosy neighbor but with birds, not people.

This picture here is of my strawberry plum preserve that tastes delicious and that I made yesterday. I feel a great achievement since our pepper jelly we tried last weekend is still soaking in the sink and we are hoping the water solubility of sugar kicks in at some point or those jars are done for.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love how you use your time! You always seem so present in what's going on around you. Even before I had Nora to take care of, I never even thought to look out my window and watch the birds for more than a minute or two. But look at your reward! Did the robin catch the grasshopper ever?