Monday, June 23, 2008

A Wedding Gift for a Childhood Friend







My friend Phil is getting married this coming weekend. Phil and I have been friends since high school. We used to be neighbors and I would often give him a ride home and would give him rides to parties. As a matter of fact I think he was present for many of my most scary winter driving moments as a teen. Like getting stuck, fish tailing down my friend Cassidy's hill, trying to change a tire, trying to check my oil! (Funny how when you start thinking of one thing, you recall many more. Is a memory forgotten if you forget to think about it?) He was also the only other person I knew who built Star Wars models. All this took place in Bemidji, Minnesota and more than ten years later I will be attending his wedding which is an hour from where I live, in Northern California just off CA Hwy 1. How small the world can be!

His wife-to-be, Liz, appears to be a sewer herself. They are both campers and hikers and love Pearl Jam and Neil Young. How much we have in common! So with that I made them a picnic blanket that I hope they will use at Yosemite, the LA beaches, Bridgeschool and more.


This blanket is about 60 by 65. I used duck cloth for the bottom so it is water resistant and heavy. The top is linen with a border of pieced cottons. I planned the blanket to be folded up in thirds before rolling so I measured it out and added buttons to both sides for help folding it up. I love any excuse to use my buttons!


I embroidered the corner using the paisley inspiration from the border fabric for the design. The card is home-made as well.

2 comments:

Tine said...

It is beautiful! What a special and thoughtful weddinggift!

Anonymous said...

such a great gift. I like the waterproof underside idea..clever.