Friday, May 30, 2008

Inspired by Mc Donalds Breakfast - A Dinner made from Scratch


So Mike and I have not had McDonalds since Foston May 2003. I remember because it was on the way to the last Derision show (Mike's band at the time). I also remember because it was a time of social and political awakening for us which resulted in an ill conscience and on a purely physical level two very upset stomachs.

Though we have had an occasional sundae from there since then we haven't eaten food food but I got on a bit of a tangent after making some breakfast biscuits last weekend that it would be fun to try to imitate McDonald's breakfast from scratch. I didn't make the hash brown patties exactly because I am not trying to make the food look the same but make the same food home-made.

I thought it would frankly, mostly just be a silly dinner but at one point this afternoon just after I pulled the biscuits out of the oven I had a moment where my cooking felt traditional and wholesome. There I was in the kitchen on a quiet cloudy afternoon and I felt like I could be in the country or back in Minnesota and it felt really nice and not so silly.

For dessert, I took my little McDonald's Breakfast for Dinner one step further and made mini-apple pies.


We got back to silly as we happily wolfed down our biscuits, hash browns and pies.

Here is Josh and Mike enjoying the home-made viddles. I bought conscientious sausage for Mike and I and Boca sausages for Josh's biscuits. Mike and I are huge boca burger and chicken patty fans but aren't crazy about vegetarian sausage but I have discovered that to make vegetarian sausage taste yummy it is good to cook it in a lot of oil. :) Josh is skinny, it's okay.

No comments: